Monday, November 2, 2009

With Thanks

We set aside one month each year for giving thanks.  Of course books have been written and blank journals sold with the sole purpose of facilitating daily thanks.  And many of us were taught to say prayers of thanks alongside our everyday pleas for mercy and acts of contrition. 

I'll admit: I've bought the gratitude journals and occasionally send up long (long) lists of all I'm grateful for; however, I never maintain a regular pace, and it's always as if I'm trying to make up for lost time.  The journals get buried after a few weeks (or days?).  And my evening prayers too often get preempted by sleep.

So here, during this great month of Thanksgiving, I'll give daily thanks.  To you and to him and to her... to whomever is listening.  Maybe I'll finally extend an overdue "thank you" to someone I should have said it to a long time ago.  Maybe I'll remind others of some thing or some person, some place or some gift they're happy to have received in this life.  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment