Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Birthday.

Today would have been my little brother Matthew’s 30th birthday. I last saw him on another milestone birthday. His 21st. He died only two weeks later.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I’ll share with you some of the things I loved most about him. Those things he brought to our lives that I’ll be forever thankful for.

His goofy, infectious laugh. It rolled from deep within his belly and made his nose crinkle and his shoulders shake.

His playful spirit and sense of fairness… always kind to little kids (ok, except when beating up on his little – and big – sisters), inclusive of new people and searching for friends.

And, on the other hand, his serious, thoughtful disposition. He liked to play grown-up. Even as a teenager, he liked to talk politics, to eat at 4-star restaurants, to linger at the dining room table with the adults after Thanksgiving dinner.

His trust in me to give him advice, to keep his secrets, to share his joy and his disappointment.

His handsome face, his lightning-fast feet, his sharp mind and his big arms that really knew how to give a hug.

And, of course, the millions of moments we shared as big sis and little brother. I can’t recall them all here, on this page… but I’ll be dwelling on them all today as I travel the long road north with my other beloved Matthews – husband and son – to the land of the Hoosiers. My birthplace, and his. Where we celebrated many holidays and regular days, happy ones and sad.

I hope this Thanksgiving is a happy one for you all, blessed with the celebratory spirit of gratitude for precious time spent with family, friends and loved ones.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Suzanne. Matthew sounds like he was a very special person. And you are still a good big sister to write such heartfelt thoughts about him. I hope you and your family can find comfort with each other on this wonderful fall day and on our day of Thanksgiving. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so touching. Derreck and I loved spending time with him during your wedding. I remember him just sitting around talking with us at our house for hours, not leaving for home that Sunday until it was dark. He would be so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete