Monday, November 2, 2009

An Early Christmas Present

When I started unpacking my memory and sitting in the middle of it all day, I had the most bizarre experience – I’d write an hour and a half or two hours and then lie down on the floor of my study and sleep the sleep of the dead.
                                                                                                                            - Mary Karr, poet/author

I know this feeling.  Writing your life can be physically painful and completely exhausting.  As in, reducing-you-to-a-pile-of-nonsense-and-tears-in-the-middle-of-the-floor exhausting.  Read Mary Karr's The Liars' Club, and you'll understand why.

How grateful I am, though, that writers like Karr give themselves over to it and endure the process.  And how grateful I am that she's done it again!  Tomorrow, she releases Lit, and today I send an advance "thank you!" to her and to HarperCollins.  I have not been this excited about a book in, well, perhaps ever.  

I predict I'll have it finished by the weekend.  If her past works are any indication, Lit will be brutal and beautiful, heartbreaking and hilarious.  I'll look forward to discussing it with any of you who heed my advice and get thee to your nearest bookseller bright and early tomorrow!

In gratitude for good lit, good friends, and good writing days that leave you in a heap on the floor,

Suzanne

2 comments:

  1. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! A new Mary Karr book! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll put this on my must-read list. Thank for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete