Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 1: Snowed

One week down. We did it. We survived. In fact, we rocked it. We kept our patience in check, our showers brief and our food in a plastic tub just in case that scratching and crunching sound coming from the lower kitchen cabinets was indeed the buck-toothed attic neighbors we hoped never to meet.

The week’s major challenge was unrelated to our actual living quarters. As all of my Nashville readers know, Wednesday delivered upon us a complete whiteout. The snow’s accumulation was minimal, but it’s velocity was like nothing I’d seen before. The fury of white flakes came at 3:30pm or so, and any person not yet on the road home or already safely there was in for trouble. Big trouble. Self included.

The journey from my office to our makeshift home—a mere distance of 3.5 miles—lasted exactly two hours. My experience was no different or worse than most others', but it was possibly the worst car travel experience I have personally ever endured. I witnessed one car after another sliding backwards down hills, somehow avoiding other cars and usually settling into a ditch. Over and over I feared, “Now is it my turn. I’m next. I don't know what to do.” I ice skated in my weathered (but not all-weather) Frye boots to the small SUV spinning out in front of me and gave her a willful push, which, to my surprise, provided all she needed to get up and go. I inched my way up and down rolling hills and past abandoned cars and nearly cried when I finally pulled into the driveway. 



(Photos courtesy: The Tennessean)
 
Beckett and Matt endured a long and occasionally frightening drive as well. We were shaken but relieved. And, no matter its size, shape or location, we were simply happy to be home.

The week's other nights included many commitments away from home, so we haven't yet spent much time simply hanging out in the apartment. Though this is disorienting and stressful, I doubt we will ever spend a full Saturday afternoon lounging about. 

We are counting the days until we can settle completely into the comforts of our new home. We learned last night that the day may come sooner than expected. Our builders say we may only have three weeks left. Still, I remain skeptical and expect to wait at least four or five weeks more. 

No matter, the day is not far off, and the journey there surely can't be as painful as the one so many of us experienced this week.

Will post details on the new hacienda (with photos from our upcoming walk-through!) on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment