Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Popping the Question

Matt and I have no standing rule as to whether we do or do not celebrate Valentine's Day. We definitely did when we were dating. The first few years of marriage included some romantic but overpriced dinners. In more recent years, we have celebrated Beckett-style -- finding and signing cards to exchange at preschool, rationing out chocolates and pastel sugar hearts, eating casual dinners at home or at a local Mexican joint -- and that has been just fine with us. Better than fine.


Yesterday we made plans to meet after work for a family dinner at The Local Taco, away from the crowds of couplings, and we sent Beckett to school armed with a baggie of 3D dinosaur cards for his friends (only to discover he was once again the poor kid, as everyone else brought candy and stickers and treats, too). But he made out like a bandit, and dinner was good. Really good. It was Margarita Monday after all.

The highlight of my day, though, was a surprise visit from my sweet friend, Tara. She delivered a homemade cookie bouquet to my office, and we chatted and I shared all the latest exciting house plans. (My next post. Promise.) But back to those cookies. They were delicious, of course, but also carried a sweet message: Will U B My Bridesmaid. I first interpreted this as Will U B My Maid (the little white dress didn't register immediately), and thought to myself, "What the hell? Why would I clean her house? Why would she want me to clean her house?"


Then it clicked. I said "yes," of course, and am honored and excited to stand beside Tara when she marries Mr. Ben (as Beckett knows him) in the fall. I love them both and know they have many happy Valentine's Days ahead of them. Romantic dinners, cheap Margarita Mondays, tiny card exchanges and all.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to pop that question!! So happy your V-day was great! Just think of next year's V-day! Speaking of, can't wait to hear and read more about the house!

    ReplyDelete