Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Trite?

Like most, I’ve thought a good bit about resolutions for 2010. Emphasis on thought. Considering I don’t much feel the need for further disappointment or guilt, though, I haven’t officially declared any. However, twenty days into the new year, here I go.

This blog is partly about holding myself accountable as I strive to realize one of my life-so-far’s most significant goals (yeah, remember that book thing?), although I prefer to think of it as sharing my travels (and looking for some travel companions) as I journey down that writer’s road.

Still, this seems as good a place as any to make public a few simple resolutions and thereby apply some pressure on myself to actually accomplish them. And again, I prefer to think of it as sharing… and making the journey down Resolution Road more hopeful, more joyful.

The first resolutions? More poetry. More music. For myself and my family and friends or anyone who finds himself or herself reading this blog.

Even as a near lifelong student and patron of the written word, I’ve never had enough poetry. It has intimidated me. Its elicit, curvy, slippery, threatening, intimate, seemingly confused but actually raw, Truthful, genuine words on the page. They’ve scared me. But a Christmas gift from Matt -- see photo below -- showed me the promise, comfort and clarity poetry can deliver.  So I’ll try to read more and share more. (Notice, I didn’t say write more. One step at a time. Fiction first. Poetry? Maybe someday.)

And music, sweet music. There’s been a constant abundance of music in my life, but in recent years, I’ve filled my sonic library with songs and artists that I’ve happened to overhear, or bumped into, or stumbled upon thanks to other people – mostly my husband. And while he’s filled my ears with pretty wicked tunage, I also know that I’m relying on his taste, which is similar to, but not the same as, mine. I’ve limited what I know and what I love. So I’ll try to seek more, listen more and, again, share more.

My unofficial resolutions list goes on for a while. I hope to remember birthdays and anniversaries better – and not just to remember them, but also to take that inexplicably difficult step of applying a stamp and actually mailing the cards I buy in order to let those I love know that I did remember!

I hope to start exercising again. I feel weaker and older and less confident than I did even one year ago. But damn, I’m also so tired in the mornings, really the only time I have to get an hour of exercise in. (But today, step one: I bought five Barre Sculpt sessions – thanks to the awesome Groupon deal!)

And, of course, I hope to finish that pesky novel that I’ve mentioned once or twice or a hundred times… and to make a more concentrated effort to finally (f#$%&!@ finally!) to get other writing published. As in, in print. On paper (real or virtual). With a check in my name—no matter how small—to follow.

I send luck to all who have resolved to change or create, better or cease, anything in this new year.  You can count on me for support if you need it!  (...and not to judge if you've already given up)

No comments:

Post a Comment