Wednesday, January 27, 2010

There's a Light Inside of You

This morning – a typical morning – found me brushing my teeth and hopping around looking for my boots and contemplating earrings and debating breakfast versus “coffee-with-lots-of-soy-milk-will-do”, all while Beckett scooted around me, barefoot in his faded Batman PJs, banging on the shower door, on the glass vanity, on the computer keyboard.

“I want to do this.” He picked up the large earphones that were plugged into the computer (my attempt to drown out his raucous bath time with Daddy a few nights ago so I could squeeze in 30 minutes of writing).

“You want to hear a song?”

“Yes.”

“How about ‘Lucy in the Sky’?”

With diamonds?”

I searched for the song we both love, but realized it doesn’t live in that computer’s iTunes.

I spotted “Dancing Queen”. It seemed like a fun, get-your-groove-on-in-the-morning kind of tune. I hit play, he held the earphones on his head and bounced around for a few seconds.

I unplugged the earphones and turned up the volume because, really, I wanted to bounce around to “Dancing Queen” for a bit myself. I danced. He lost interest.

Somehow a few Wilco songs were next in the line-up, and I let it play on.

Beckett stopped, smiled.

“What this?”

“This is Wilco. Rock and roll. Called ‘Shouldn’t Be Ashamed’.”

Beckett spent the next three minutes strutting around the bedroom, gently strumming an air guitar, bobbing his head, occasionally stopping to drop the guitar and lay down a few chords on the footboard-turned-keyboard of our bed.

The next song played. “Should’ve Been in Love”. More strumming. More head bobbing. More liking of the Wilco.

I am excited. I'm a late passenger on the Wilco train. I somehow missed the first few boarding calls during my college days in Knoxville, where I think the Chicago-band was (is) quite popular.

But better late than never.  I bought my ticket. I’m on board. And apparently Beckett is, too.

How nice to have such a sweet travel companion.

Can’t wait to play him this song:


WILCO - "What Light"

WILCO


MySpace Music Videos

1 comment: